Complete Work Title:
An Unaware Cosmos — modular cycle for multiple soloists and chamber ensembles
various soloists and mixed chamber ensembles of two to six instruments.
• Unweaving a Rainbow, for viola (or violin, or violoncello) and piano
• Transient Dominion, for trumpet, bass trombone, piano, and percussion (tom-toms, cymbals, tam-tam)
• The Indelible Stamp of Our Lowly Origin, for four contrabasses
• Blind Watchmaker, for contrabassoon and 2 percussion (4 woodblocks, 4 log drums)
• Celestial Teapot, for percussion (vibraphone, crotales, tam-tams) and piano (or harp)
• La Contagion sacrée, for trumpet, horn, trombone, and percussion (optional, one player: afuche, sand blocks, or rattle)
• The Illusion of Permanence, for violin and violoncello
• Shadows on the Horizon, for string quartet
• Die Tyrannei der Mehrheit, for low brass (four parts, up to four players per part, drawn from bass trumpets, euphoniums, tubas) and percussion (2 to 4 players: chimes, tam-tams; gongs, bell plates, and almglocken, ad libitum)
• Pascal's Fallacy, for saxophone quartet (SATB, ATTB, AAAA)
• A Fleeting Symmetry, for guitar, harp, and harpsichord
• Glorious Accidents, for 4 woodwinds (double-reeds and/or saxophones)
• On the Perimeter of Ignorance, for piccolo, celesta, and flexatone
• A Splendid Torch, for solo piccolo trumpet
• Que sçay-je?, for solo Eb clarinet
• A Delicate Geometry, for voice (countertenor or mezzo-soprano), electric guitar, and accordion (or harmonium or positive organ)
• ...e pur si muove, for solo violin
• La vanité des superstitions, for alto flute, English horn, bass clarinet, horn, and bassoon
• A Noble Ideal, for solo xylophone
A celebration of humankind’s quest for knowledge through skepticism and critical inquiry, and to those freethinkers who have devoted their lives to such noble pursuits.
• The individual modules in this cycle are mutable, allowing for the resulting music to be fragmented, dislocated, suspended, disrupted, and penetrated in often unpredictable ways, and exploring a variety of relationships—timbral, spatial, conceptual, structural—both within and between modules.
• At least three modules must be included in any performance of An Unaware Cosmos
• This work is supported in part by a faculty fellowship from the University of North Texas Institute for the Advancement of the Arts.
• 28 November 2017, University of North Texas (Denton, TX); realization with five modules: Que sçay-je?, Celestial Teapot, On the Perimeter of Ignorance, Blind Watchmaker, The Illusion of Permanence.
Joseph Klein, JAMU student ensembles:
• 21 October 2015, Janáček Academy of Music and Performing Arts (Brno, Czech Republic); realization with eight modules: Transient Dominion, Unweaving a Rainbow, The Indelible Stamp of Our Lowly Origin, Celestial Teapot, La contagion sacrée, Blind Watchmaker, The Illusion of Permanence, Shadows on the Horizon.
Joseph Klein, UNT faculty and student ensembles:
• 18 March 2014, University of North Texas (Denton, TX); realization with three modules: Transient Dominion, Unweaving a Rainbow, The Indelible Stamp of Our Lowly Origin [premiere].
Downloads & Links:
audio recording (Soundcloud)
Realization with eight modules, featuring student performers from the University of North Texas (recorded 2014-15).
video recording (YouTube)
Recorded live, 18 March 2014, University of North Texas; Realization with three modules: Transient Dominion (Toshiro Chun, trumpet; Colby Norton, bass trombone; Jacob Harpster, percussion; Eva Polgar, piano); The Indelible Stamp of Our Lowly Origin (Jonathan Kern Anderson, Julia Milrod, Jesus Insuasty, Gabriel Sakamoto, contrabasses); Unweaving a Rainbow (Susan Dubois, viola; Steven Harlos, piano); Joseph Klein, conductor.
video recording (YouTube)
Recorded live, 27 November 2017, University of North Texas; Realization with five modules: Que sçay-je? (Luke Ellard, Eb clarinet); Celestial Teapot (West Fox, percussion; David Falterman, piano); On the Perimeter of Ignorance (Martin Godoy, piccolo; Ted Powell, celesta; Nicholas Bolchoz, flexatone); Blind Watchmaker (Jorge Cruz, contrabassoon; Tyler Waters, wood blocks; Ethan Sedelmeier, log drum); The Illusion of Permanence (Mia Detwiler, violin; Kourtney Newton, violoncello).